Board of Education
Mrs. Jennifer Schlactus, Presidentemail: email@example.com
Term of Office: July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2023Mr. Jeffrey Mensch, Vice-Presidentemail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Term of Office: July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2024Dr. Richard Buzinemail: email@example.comTerm of Office: July 27, 2021 - June 30, 2023Mr. Scott D. Jaffeeemail: firstname.lastname@example.orgTerm of Office: July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2024Mrs. Samantha Smithemail: email@example.com
Term of Office: July 1, 2022 - June 30, 2025
Board of Education email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Powers and Duties
Board of Education Policy 1310 Adopted 10-20-08
The Board of Education shall concern itself with broad questions of policies rather than with administrative details. The implementation of policies is an administrative task to be performed by the Superintendent and other administrators, who shall be held responsible for the effective administration and supervision of the entire school system. Delegation by the Board of its executive powers provides freedom for the administrative staff to manage the schools within the established policies.
The Board, functioning within the framework of laws, court decisions, legal opinions, negotiated agreements, and recognizing the authority of the State, fulfills its mission as the governing body of the local school district by acting as follows in the execution of its duties.
- Selects the Superintendent of Schools, who serves as Chief Executive Officer of the Board, and supports him/her in the discharge of his/her duties.
- Enacts Policy.
- Appoints all teachers, principals and other employees only upon the recommendation of the Superintendent of Schools.
- Approves the budget, financial reports, audits, major expenditures, payment of obligations, and policies whereby the administration may formulate procedures, regulations, and other guides for the orderly accomplishment of business.
- Estimates and seeks to provide funds for the operation, support, maintenance, improvement, and extension of the school system.
- Provides for the planning, expansion, improvement, financing, construction, maintenance, use, and disposition of physical plants of the school system.
- Provides, through the Superintendent, the minimum standards needed for the efficient operation and improvement of the school system.
- Discusses and evaluates reports of the Superintendent and administrative staff concerning the progress of the school in terms of achievement of pupils and performance of teachers, and other employees.
- Requires the establishment and maintenance of records, accounts, archives, management methods, and procedures considered essential to the efficient conduct of school business.
- Provides for the dissemination of information relating to the school system necessary for creating a well-informed public.
- Evaluates the performance of the Superintendent according to previously agreed upon performance standards.
- Individual Board members are expected to review their participation in school-related activities with the entire Board.
Number of Members of the Board and Term of Office
Board of Education Policy 1130 Adopted 10-20-08
The Board of Education shall consist of five members who shall serve for terms of three years. The terms shall be over-lapping, two members elected during two years, and one member elected during the alternate year. New members-elect shall be invited to all public Board meetings, shall participate in all discussions, and shall receive all pertinent printed material for the purpose of orientation after the election and prior to taking office.
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be Eighteen (18) years of age or older;
- Be able to read and write;
- Be a qualified voter of the district;
- Be a legal resident of the District for a continuous and uninterrupted period of at least one (1) year prior to the election;
- Cannot be an employee of the District
Not more than one member of a family shall be a member of the same Board of Education in any school district.
Legal Reference: Section 2102, 2103, 2103-a, 2502