Ex Officio: Dr. Colin Byrne 2022-2023 Board Liaisons: Scott Jaffee Jeffrey Mensch Committee Chairperson: Dr. Jennifer Chirles Committee Members: Jon Ambrosio Danny Fung Rebecca Newman Nethra Bhatt Rabbi Ben Goldberg Pastor Jim O'Hanlon Sayantani Biswas Katherine Hallissy Ayala Sandy Riguzzi Marnita Brown Yuka Hashimoto Naomi Riley Harry Burg Margaret Hilton Paulson Steven Schiz Karen Chalif Seth Horowitz Julie Schuster Yang Chen Vikas Joshi Becky Silverstein Kaity Cheng Allison Kaye Dakers Shari Sims Mariela Cohen Sabban Marnie Korpi Marla Striar Itzel Contreras Shannon Lombardo Tracy Taylor Paul Cullagh Karyn Louis-Smith Jamie Zinn Patricia Della Penna Noki Masuku Dr. Jennifer Gilbert Mindy Friedman Ingrid Merli
RESPONSIBILITY AND CHARGE OF THE COMMITTEEGENERAL
Diversity - We are committed to recognizing the variety of differences among our staff and students including race and ethnicity, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, language, culture, national origin, religious commitments, age, (dis)ability status, neurological difference and political perspective. We look to hire individuals that reflect the diversity in the world around us.
Equity - We are committed to providing a school environment that is aware of bias and works towards eliminating discrimination. We look to provide equitable access to resources, experiences and programs to all students and staff regardless of race and ethnicity, gender and gender identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, language, culture, national origin, religious commitments, age, (dis)ability status, neurological difference and political perspective.
Inclusion - We are committed to making sure that all individuals in the Blind Brook School District feel welcomed and have a voice. It is important that different perspectives are respectfully heard and an environment is created where every individual feels a sense of belonging as a valued member of our community. We will recognize our differences and will continue to cultivate our awareness of inclusion concepts and practices.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Develop a recruitment process that encourages individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for positions at Blind Brook.
- Revisiting our hiring processes to make sure that there is an equitable process that promotes diversity and inclusion.
- Review all current policies and procedures through the lens of addressing discrimination and harassment.
- Establish ways to allow students and staff from diverse backgrounds to share their thoughts and concerns. Identify ways to respect and reflect the cultures, beliefs and identities of all students in the District.
- Introducing students to the diversity in the world around them through teaching and learning. For example, ensure that the curriculum at each grade level is not promoting stereotypes.
- Support and provide mentorship and guidance to student-led initiatives, clubs and activities whose purpose overlaps with the mission of this committee.
- Work to implement conflict resolution strategies that increase empathy for others through the use of restorative practices.
- Foster more of a sense of community in and outside of our buildings.