Age Categories

  • Birth – Age 3:

    If a parent is concerned about her baby or toddler’s development, the parent should first contact the child’s pediatrician. If the parent and/or the pediatrician is concerned about the child’s development, such as concerns regarding speech delays, delays in motor development, feeding, etc., the parent should call Early Intervention (EI) (see below) to schedule a meeting and set up evaluations to determine whether the child is eligible to receive services. If your child is eligible, then you will make a plan together to get help for your child.

    Pre-School (Ages 3 – 5):

    If a parent or pre-school professional is concerned that a child may need special education services, a written referral needs to be sent to the Blind Brook School District Department of Pupil Services requesting an evaluation of the child. That referral is forwarded to the Committee on Pre-School Special Education (CPSE) Chairperson. In addition, children receiving services through EI may transition into CPSE.

    School Age (Ages 5 – 21):

    If you believe your child is having difficulty in school, your first step should be to contact a classroom teacher. School based instructional supports, determined by the school’s Instructional Support Team (IST), or Child Study Team (CST), would be implemented to address the areas of concern, if appropriate. If you collectively agree that further intervention is necessary, the next step would be to submit a written referral to the Committee on Special Education (CSE) to initiate evaluations to determine whether your child is eligible for special education services.