Elementary School General Music Program
“Music is a more potent instrument than any other for education.” - Plato
Music participation provides a unique opportunity for literacy preparation. Recent research has found that music uses both sides of the brain, a fact that makes it valuable in all areas of development. Music affects the growth of a child’s brain academically, emotionally, physically and spiritually. The elementary school’s general music program is taught by Mr. Greg DiMiceli.First Grade
*First grade general music is largely a continuation of the curricular themes introduced in kindergarten.
*Students continue to sing, say, dance and play.
*Main themes are rhythm, melody, form and dynamics
*Music notation is introduced
*Connection is now made between the previous two years’ musical experiences and written musical symbols
*Further exploration of classroom percussion instruments and their relationship to written music
*Acoustics (the science of sound)
*The Third Grade General Music curriculum is largely a continuation of the themes explored in Second Grade. Practice makes perfect!
*Introduction to recorders (This is a main idea for at least ½ of the school year.)
*Deeper exploration of multicultural music
*Harmony is explored
*In the class songwriting is explored (poetry and music) in large and small group.
*Acoustics (the science of sounds) revisited
* In class, small group, percussion “bands” are formed.
* Songwriting and poetry continued
* Continuation of xylophone, drums/percussion, recorder, etc. for the purpose of teambuilding, music making, and self-expression
* Musical instrument making project; final culmination of our study through the years of acoustics and the families of musical instruments
* Vocal instruction continues
* Program is aligned with the New York State Standards for the Performing Arts for Vocal Instruction
* SOLFEGE/KODAY :pitch/ear training instruction methods
* Basic Music Theory: geared for vocalists to identify the steps of the scale, basic chord progressions and music reading