Return to Headlines



The Blind Brook-Rye Public School District certifies that all teachers hired after the first day of school in the year 2008-2009 and teaching in a program supported with Title I funds are highly qualified. Board policy requires that applicants who are being considered for employment have earned, as a minimum, a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college, hold the correct certification for the grade level subject area in which he/she will teach, and have met State qualification and licensing criteria. Any questions you may have concerning the professional qualifications of your child’s teacher should be directed to the building principal. Under no circumstances will the District or Board of Education consider or take action on any letters or communications that are unsigned. Anonymity of individuals registering complaints or allegations in writing will be respected if requested, but such communications must bear the name, address, and signature of the writer.

When parents have question or complaint about a child’s class work or progress in a specific course, they should contact the teacher. The teacher, who works with the student, knows the child and can generally help to resolve the difficulty.

At the elementary level, a parent should contact the building principal if the teacher does not offer a satisfactory resolution. At the secondary level, the department coordinator should be contacted or the parent should schedule an appointment with the student’s guidance counselor. If satisfaction is not achieved, then the parent should call the building principal.

If a resident’s concern is of a more general nature and involves the educational program or activities of a school, the building principal should be contacted directly.

If the question still remains unresolved, the parent may choose to contact the office of the Superintendent of schools.

In the case of a complaint against a professional staff member, parents are urged to:
1. speak to the staff member involved.
2. If the situation is not resolved,
3. speak to the immediate supervisor (coordinator or administrator) of that teacher.
4. If the situation is still not resolved, speak to the building principal.
5. If the situation is still not resolved, contact the Superintendent of Schools.
6. If the situation is still not resolved contact the President of the Board of Education.